So, if you remember, our Honda was totaled a few weeks ago. Last week we got the insurance payment, and that meant we needed to get a new car. We got a good amount from the insurance company (they didn't jip us on the value) and we were looking to spend exactly that amount, with maybe a very little of our own money as well. We paid off that car years ago, and we have no desire to get into more debt and make car payments.
Last week was hard, with me having to drive Lee and pick him up every day from work. It's do-able, but a pain. So we decided that today was car buying day! We were hoping the "Luck of the Irish" would be with us! Lee's been searching for a few weeks and narrowed it down to a few. We set out around 9am this morning... (about the time I found out that Ben/Ashley's new baby, little Brooklyn, was here! Congrats you guys!! Send pics when you can!)
Aunt Lauren gave us their old double car DVD players... they have been a lifesaver! And definitely were today!! We armed ourselves with them and lots of snacks. Car buying with little kids isn't ideal, but what else can you do?!
We started in a town about 30 mins from here, but ended up not liking the truck Lee had researched. It didn't drive well and was definitely not worth the money. Which means we had to go to Nashville... which was an hour and a half from where we were. Thankfully Will took a little nap and Amy just watched her movie.
We looked at this Nissan Xterra and after a test drive, a little negotiation and several hours with now overly tired and psycho kiddos- it was ours!
We are so blessed as they cut the cost to exactly what we wanted to spend. It was great to pay for a car in cash! It's a 2003 and basically just like our truck that we traded with Dad... only of course, it's covered. :) What I found funny is that I've always wanted an Xterra! For years I've loved them, but never actually thought about getting one!
The nice salesman gave the kids balloons from some cars. They loved them!
Amy rode home with Lee and loved it. Then after they got home, I needed to run a few "kid-free" errands, so I got to drive it around town. I love it! I can't wait to take it out too. :) So anyway- finally the "totaling of the Honda" nightmare has come to a close. I have to also say, we have State Farm insurance and have really, really LOVED them. They have been so great through this whole process. Knowing how great they've been actually makes me happy sending them money each month. :)

How nice. We have State Farm too,over 40 years, and although we haven't had any big things with them once Steve hit a deer and another time he tangled with a LARGE snow mover in a parking lot but they were always good to us and easy to work with. We also have been happy when we needed to make a house claim once. Looks like you made a swell purchase hope it gives you as much good time as the Honda did. Love always.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your new SUV! Isn't it the best feeling to pay cash for a car and not have a car payment!? Oh, the portable DVD player has been a life saver for us too! We were totally opposed...we figured we survived so could she! Ha, ha!! But Jason's parents wanted to buy her one...best gift ever! I think it helps us survive the car rides! Ha! ;o)
ReplyDeleteWimps, actually the difference between your kids and you guys being kids is that we didn't have to have you strapped into car seats. You could roam around a bit and stay busy. Now you probably really need a DVD player to keep sanity.
ReplyDeleteLots O luck with your nice new car! The kids look happy with it too. I'm so happy you found one your really liked. Nothing will keep you home now with all the nice room you have for the kids. I too have State Farm and have always been very happy with them. I have delt with the same agent--in fact the same agent Lynn & Steve have--for years and always had good service. Glad to see you all so happy! Much love and luck to ykou all. Gram
ReplyDelete