The house was really dirty. Mildrew and dirt were all I would see when I would look at it. We borrowed Dad's power washer and I couldn't wait to get started.
Only, like most home projects, it wasn't as easy as I had hoped. I don't think the house has ever been washed. So 20 years of dirt and grime were embedded onto the vinyl surface. I quickly realized that it just needed a good scrub. So I would power wash a section, scrub with a scrub brush and then give it another pass of the power washing to rinse. It took forever but luckily it wasn't too hard. And thankfully our house is mostly one level which meant I could do it without getting up on a ladder.
This is my "Hooray I finished the back of the house" face.
I think total it took me a day and a half to power wash and scrub it all.
And this is my "I am finally done" face. I was exhausted.
The pressure washing made a big difference which is hard to see in pictures.
A few days later I decided to tackle the shutters. They were really faded and you can really tell in the photo below. The ones on the left side of the photo are actually supposed to be the same color as the rest. All of the shutters were really faded but those were the most.
When I took the shutters down I found tons and tons of wasps nests. This is why you do these projects in the winter! No wasps yet! There were so many nests that the front porch had to have been unusable. It was crazy.
After I cleaned those up, I got the power washer back out (I'm becoming a pro) and washed down the area behind the shutters as well as the shutters themselves. Once dry, I gave everything a fresh cost of spray paint and hung them all back up. Lee helped in the re-hanging.
And now it is sparkling clean and crisply painted. I think it looks great. I'm so excited about how well it turned out!
Now... onto the gardens!



Loving all the pictures! I might have to steal your little organizing idea for my kitchen! What a great idea! And Amy's hair...gotta remember that one! Have fun with your new house! Every time I come up with a new idea Jason seems to disappear!LOL! We still have a ton of things we'd like to do to. Lowes and Home Depot love us! Ha!
ReplyDelete