Tonight we had a "Trunk or Treat" at church. It's supposed to be a chili cook-off- but last year I brought chili and NO one ate any of it, so this year I protested. Plus, our kids won't eat chili, Lee doesn't really care for it and I only like my mom's...... so we got Chick-fil-A instead. Actually- eating beforehand was genius. We didn't have to wait in any lines or gather our dirty pot afterwards.
So, you know I like family "themed" costumes.... I love a theme. I also hate buying costumes. Sure homemade ones "look" homemade- but that's the point. My mom NEVER bought a costume (ok, once Anna "got" to get a store bought costume- it's still a sore subject. haha j/k, Mom). We always dug through the dress up box and came up with something. I feel like it's only right for my kids to do the same- except I make their's, usually out of a sweatsuit. Its for one night- who cares. (although I'm slightly tempted to start buying some discounted costumes this year and pack them away for next. You can't make a costumes for $2)
Anyway- this year our kids are Halloween themed, black in color things.... Amy a cat, Will a bat and Tyler a spider.
Her's was crazy simple- just a black sweatsuit and I added ears and a tail. She also really wanted her face painted.
This is the only picture I got of Will standing still. He kept calling himself "Batman" and ran around like crazy. He was so excited about Halloween. I used the tutorial from Dana Made It to create his wings.
Tyler's was the easiest yet- it was actually a dog costume that I bought years ago and just held onto it. I thought it'd be perfect for a baby one day. Turns out, I was right. Anyone have a medium sized dog that needs a costume?
He's just so cute.
Will caught onto the "trick or treat" part pretty quickly- as most kids do. But he was a little shy. One family had a table set up where you could stick your hands in boxes and feel "brains," "bones," "eyeballs," or whatever else. Well, Amy stuck her hand in and pulled out a carrot (she didn't get the "just feel it" directions). She looked at it, shrugged and put it in her treat bag. It was so funny.
After they were done, they enjoyed lounging in the car and eating some treats.
We gave out juice boxes- which I have to say- was quite a hit. A "sugary" thing, but yet different. I calculated it out and it was actually a bit cheaper than candy as well. Next year, I'm going to stock up all year (using coupons and sales) and give it out again. It also got really cold tonight. Yesterday we were in shorts- tonight we were freezing in sweat outfits. I guess "fall" is finally here.
Oh and here is me, Linda and Talana. I "dressed up" as a tired mommy.... I teased my hair to make it look messy, and wore my sweats that I used make-up to put stains all over. The mom's all loved my costume. I really just didn't want to do my hair. haha
Happy Halloween- we'll do it all again on the 31st.
Holy cow, it has been a busy week. What cute costumes you and your mom are truly cut from the same cloth. I'm kind of like the faces of most of the kids with the pumpkin stuff too, although I would do it. But their faces are priceless. What a wonderful way of teaching with all the measuring and counting involved. And room (assistant) mom. I was always glad to be able to do that too. Being an at home mom is definitely worth any hardships. I know uncle Steve used to have to get up early to go to work so at 5:00 every morning I would get up to make his lunch and kiss him goodbye. I know I could have made it the night before, but he didn't like the sandwich sitting that long and getting kind of soggy. People would say I was crazy but I always said. He goes to work and gives me the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom, that's the least I can do. Of course I always went back to bed after he left. I think most families could do it if they wanted they are just not willing to do without extra stuff. I don't think it's a very good trade off. I'm surprised after watching Amy that Will doesn't just jump into gooey hand stuff. It does look like cooking is fun though. Beans? I guess it's good protein though. Mike ate them when small and now doesn't like them (other than in chili) hope he continues. Well I've rambled on long enough I guess. I loved all the blog additions. I'm so glad you are so good at remembering to take pictures it's so much fun to watch the kids grow. Love always.
ReplyDeleteI love all the costumes!! You take after your Mom as she always came up with great ideas. It looks like Tyler is going to be a big ham as he really enjoyed being in his costume. He has such a wonderful smile and fits right in with all the kids. All the costumes were great and much much nicer than any you can buy in the store==and can be used afterward too!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad too that you can be a stay at home Mom. I always enjoyed it too and it was a great way to be able to keep tract of your kids.
Thanks so much for such a fantastic update!! It is go nice to get to see what the kids are doing and all their and your friends. You are lucky to have such a great group to work with.
I really enjoyed seeing Amy dig in the dirt and have that fun with all the boys. The pumpkin insides was really fun to see how differently each one of the kids reacted. It is no surprise that Amy was the one digging into all the goup. A great lesson for the kids too.
Thanks again for all the updates as it really makes a good day when I can see all the fun things you are doing with the family.
Love to you all and have a happy Halloween! Glad you and Lee see fit to make sure you spend so much time with your family. Much love to you all, Gram
Tyler is just not credible as a spooky spider, he is way to cute. The cat and bat were fun too. Hope they didn't play too many tricks on you. I am glad you got a good tour of the town, you will have to take me around next time I am there. Happy Halloween!
ReplyDelete