Friday, December 21, 2018

When MeMe and Papa Come To Town.....

It's been an exciting week around here! It started with me having to make a quick, overnight trip to Georgia to sign off on a house for Mom and Dad. In the parking lot I saw this sticker. Awh.


After the house closing we high tailed it back to Tennessee because we had a busy week planned! Actually, their visit was already scheduled, the house closing was a last minute addition to the game plan.

Anyhow, we let them rest for a day by going to Amy's last Archery tournament. She didn't do as well as she liked but plans to practice a lot before next season.



That afternoon was Will and Amy's piano recital. They both did great! They introduced themselves and then played really well.



Of course Sunday was a day of rest, and then it was time to get to work. We have many, many to-do projects around here. First up was a trip to the hardware store. Upon leaving, Dad and Lee got honked at, only to realize they were losing wood through the back door. Lee had to ride like this the entire way home, making sure more wood didn't fall out.


It turned out they lost 2 sheets of plywood and went back to look for it. They found it in the middle on the road and were able to retrieve it, undamaged (which was a miracle!) 

Then they tackled a roof leak we have in our chimney area. Sidenote- isn't that blue sky amazing!!??



I discovered this wall a while back... there's been a leak there for a very long time!



The rotted wall was torn down and attempts to seal the leak were made.


It happened to rain, which was nice so it could be checked out... and it still leaked. Soooo... this repair is still underway.

While that was dry/curing/ whatever, the biggest project of the week was tackled. The GARAGE!
Let's just give a quick before.... Yes, I know it was terrible.


Lee and Dad worked on the shelves. Mom made me clean out boxes. We reduced. We cleaned. We organized. Until finally.......




It looked like THIS! Amazing isn't it??

We even got my van inside. Which is something we never attempted before! The transformation is amazing!

And despite the "You have too much stuff" comments I keep getting, four of those bins are empty (We stocked up when they were on sale) and several items need to be sold. The shelves mainly hold camping, food storage and canning items.


Dad also installed a light over the workbench and fixed the garage light. It's not only neat and organized, you can actually SEE when you go out there. :)



A few side projects were also accomplished, Dad installed a new kitchen faucet- this was the old one...

The new one is taller....

We also have a whole house water filter. The "system" was already installed. We just weren't sure if it worked. Turns out, it does, Dad just had to adjust a few things. He also added a towel rack to the kitchen sink which I've been meaning to do for awhile.

Mom and I cleaned out the shed and hung everything we could inside. I don't have a picture of that, I should though!

I had a bunch of mason jars in the kitchen and Mom enlisted Tyler to get those cleared out.

We also tackled Amy's backpack. Oh my, her backpack! ALL of this was inside it!

We weighed it beforehand and it was 16.8 lbs. She insisted she needed every single piece of paper in it, but once I made her go through it all one by one, she got rid of almost all of it. I don't have an after picture, but the after weight was 6 lbs. We got rid of 10 pounds of stuff! The next morning she said, "Mom, this is amazing!" I bet!

And if all of THAT isn't enough for a week, we managed to watch a movie every night (I pretty much fell asleep each time. I'm not so good at night!), Meme painted cards with Amy...

Mom helped me on a field trip with Tyler and then a class party, Dad and Lee made about 8 trips to Home Depot, I was in charge of an activity at church where I had the girls write kind notes and place them all over the cars in the parking lot....


Dad installed a light in the upstairs so we can work a little easier now, Dad and Lee also bought insulation so we can start working up there over the next few months.

Will needed to pass off an activity for his Cub Scouts. He and Amy wrote and acted in a really cute skit. They did a great job! (Tyler wanted nothing to do with it. He ended up falling asleep at 6pm that night and not waking until 7am the next morning. He was really worn out!)



(Their sleigh. See all the "Reindeer" aka stuffed animals? haha. I love kid imaginations!


The morning Mom and Dad left we had our annual Hot Chocolate Tasting. This year I had 9 varieties to try.


The winners this year were the Team Sloth (from World Market) and Swiss Miss (which always wins.) The loser? I found a BACON Hot Chocolate! It was as gross as it sounds!

Amy's face CRACKS me up. That must have been the bacon one!


And then it was time for Meme and Papa to go.

Yes, it was an incredibly busy week. But if you are reading this, you know my parents and all this won't surprise you at all. ha! I was joking with my mom about how my friends say I do a lot, but compared to my parents, I'm completely lazy! I would have quit a million times over, or come back to finish something the next day. But not with these work horses! Man oh man. haha. It was amazing how much we could get accomplished in only a few short days!

The garage looks great. We've started the upstairs. And all is well around here. I plan to curl up for a long winters nap for the next few days!






No comments:

Post a Comment

.